Today the courageous Antonia Schachter joins us on the show to share her story of navigating her mental health struggles in a broken mental health system. After the birth of her first son, Antonia began to struggle with an increase in anxiety. She was waking up in the middle of the night hyperventilating and in panic. Desperate for relief, she sought help through medications. Thirty years later, with many different medications, a hospitalization, suicidal thoughts, and an additional diagnosis, Antonia is still trying to taper off her psych meds.
WE CHAT ABOUT…
- Antonia’s experience with postpartum anxiety
- How she was effectively groomed to turn to pills at a young age
- Antonia's journey with psychiatric medications
- How Antonia found psych meds helpful until she didn’t
- The importance of informed consent
- How Antonia went from struggling with anxiety to later being diagnosed with depression
- Her experience with withdrawal symptoms and suicidal thoughts
- How she found help through an online community
- Where the mental health system is going wrong
- Antonia's side effects and her experience with tardive dyskinesia
- How some psychiatrists are starting to change the mental health narrative
MORE FROM ANTONIA SCHACHTER…
Check out Antonia's blog here
Sign up for inner child healing here
Read Antonia's Mad in America article
MORE COURAGEOUS STORIES TO TUNE INTO…
Ep. 53: Stephanie Thornton Plymale on Trauma, Mental Illness, and Healing
Ep. 74: Katinka Blackford Newman: The Pill That Steals Lives
Ep. 77: Tracey Higgins: Healing From Schizophrenia
Ep. 87: Sean Gunderson: 17 Years as a Forensic Inmate
LOVE THE SHOW?
If you love this episode, please rate, review, and share this episode. It helps me so much!