TUNE IN: APPLE PODCAST | SPOTIFY | GOOGLE PODCAST
DR. COLIN A. ROSS
Dr. Colin Ross is an internationally renowned clinician, researcher, author, and lecturer in the field of dissociation, and trauma-related disorders. He is the founder and President of The Colin A. Ross Institute for Psychological Trauma. Colin completed medical school at the University of Alberta and his psychiatry training at the University of Manitoba. He is a Past President of the International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation and is the author of over 250 papers and 35 books. He has spoken widely throughout North America, Europe, China, Malaysia, Australia, and New Zealand.
His clinical books focus on trauma and dissociation and include Dissociative Identity Disorder. Diagnosis, Clinical Features, and Treatment of Multiple Personality, Second Edition, Schizophrenia: Innovations in Diagnosis and Treatment, The Trauma Model: A Solution to the Problem of Comorbidity in Psychiatry, Trauma Model Therapy: A Treatment Approach for Trauma Dissociation and Complex Comorbidity, Structural Dissociation: A Proposed Modification of the Theory, Treatment of Dissociative Identity Disorder: Techniques and Strategies for Stabilization, The Genetics of Schizophrenia, and Trauma Recovery Lesson Plans.
Dr. Ross has published a series of treatment outcome studies in peer-reviewed journals, which provide evidence for the effectiveness of Trauma Model Therapy. Many of his papers involve large series of cases, with original research data and statistical analyses, including a paper entitled ‘Trauma and Dissociation in China’ in the American Journal of Psychiatry.
WE CHAT ABOUT…
- What inspired Dr. Colin Ross to become a psychiatrist
- His thoughts on the lack of trauma training in schools
- What's wrong with the current mental health field
- The role trauma plays in the presentation of mental illness
- Colin's thoughts on the chemical imbalance theory
- Whether or not schizophrenia is a genetic brain disease
- Auditory and visual hallucinations and how they're related to trauma
- How different cultures view voices as either good or bad
- The role voices play in Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Dr. Colin Ross' thoughts on the core motive of why voices want a person dead
- What it means to dissociate
- Colin's approach to healing trauma in a nutshell
- Electrodes being implanted in the brain
Full disclosure, while this episode touches on wide health beliefs in the mental health world, I want you to know my intention is never to leave you feeling ashamed. Unfortunately, touching on topics that go against our current mental health narrative can be a bit touchy. While I’m not a fan of our current mental health narrative, I am a fan of you trying to improve your mental health.
MORE FROM DR. COLIN ROSS…
Check out Colin's website
Buy his books, Be A Teammate With Yourself, Trauma Model Therapy, and The CIA Doctors: Human Rights Violations by American Psychiatrists
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
The Man Who Fought a Bull With Mind Control
ALL THE GOODIES FROM THIS EPISODE…
Tired of anxiety always being a part of your life? Click here to learn how to uncover your triggers and reclaim your power.