David Healy is a psychiatrist, scientist, psychopharmacologist, and author. Before becoming a professor of Psychiatry in Wales, and more recently in the Department of Family Medicine at McMaster University in Canada, he studied medicine in Dublin, and at Cambridge University.
He is a former Secretary of the British Association for Psychopharmacology and has authored more than 220 peer-reviewed articles and 25 books, including The Antidepressant Era, The Creation of Psychopharmacology, Let Them Eat Prozac, Mania, and Pharmageddon.
His latest book, Shipwreck of the Singular: Healthcare’s Castaways, documents how improvements in medicine which contributed to increasing our life expectancies have now turned inside out and are leading to shortened life spans. David’s main areas of research are clinical trials in psychopharmacology, the history of psychopharmacology, and the impact of both trials and psychotropic drugs on our culture.
David has been involved as an expert witness in homicide and suicide trials involving psychotropic drugs, and in bringing problems with these drugs to the attention of American and European regulators, as well as raising awareness of how pharmaceutical companies sell drugs by marketing diseases and co-opting academic opinion-leaders, ghost-writing their articles.
And that’s not all. David is also a founder and CEO of Data Based Medicine Limited, which operates through its website RxISK.org, dedicated to making medicines safer through online direct patient reporting of drug side effects.
WE CHAT ABOUT…
- Ghostwriting in scientific research
- Why his job is knowing when not to prescribe medications
- How little is known about SSRI’s and what they do
- Why the negative side of medications needs to be recognized too
- The impact of taking SSRI’s while pregnant
- Why people are failing to see that psych meds can be both good and bad
- How psychiatric medications affect the brain and ability to make love
- Where doctors are going wrong with prescribing
- David's thoughts on the chemical imbalance theory
- How SSRI’s are not correcting anything
- How medications have become sacramental
- Why doctors need to wake up to the problems pills are causing
MORE FROM DAVID HEALY…
Visit David's website
Check out RxISK
Buy his game changing books here
ALL THE GOODIES FROM THIS EPISODE…
Ready to find freedom from your anxiety? CLICK HERE to download your freebie today!