DR. DAVID CARBONELL
Today we’re getting down and dirty on the topic of panic attacks with my anxiety mentor Dr. David Carbonell. You might remember David if you’ve listened to episode 14, The Worry Trick, or even episode 100 where he was part of my 100th episode. If you haven’t, I highly recommend you go check them out.
Dr. David Carbonell is a Clinical Psychologist who specializes in the treatment of anxiety disorders. With over thirty-five years of experience, Dr. Carbonell offers exposure based treatment of fears and phobias. He founded the Anxiety Treatment Center in Chicago in 1990, one of the first psychological practices in the United States devoted exclusively to the treatment of clients who sought help with anxiety disorders. He is the author of four anxiety self-help books and he also teaches workshops for therapists who want to learn more about the treatment of anxiety disorders.
WE TALK ABOUT…
- What a phobia is and what leads to someone having a phobia
- What the panic cycle looks like and how you can exit it
- Safety behaviors and how they can become a problem
- The steps you can take to guide yourself through a panic attack
- What’s required for exposure work to be effective
- How panic tricks you
- Whether or not thoughts can trigger a panic attack
- Davids thoughts on nighttime panic attacks
- The symptoms of panic and what a panic attack looks like
- What to do if exercise triggers panic
- How to best support someone who’s having a panic attack
- The importance of taking a deep breath
- Why it’s important to do the opposite of what your panic is telling you to do
MORE FROM DR. DAVID CARBONELL…
Checkout David's website full of resources
Purchase his new Panic Attack Workbook
Listen to Episode 14, The Worry Trick, here
Tired of anxiety hijacking your life? I want to be your anxiety coach! Click here to learn more.