TUNE IN: APPLE PODCAST | SPOTIFY | GOOGLE PODCAST
Dr. Joshua Coleman
Dr. Coleman is a psychologist in private practice in the San Francisco Bay Area and a Senior Fellow with the Council on Contemporary Families, a non-partisan organization of leading sociologists, historians, psychologists and demographers dedicated to providing the press and public with the latest research and best practice findings about American families.
He has written for The New York Times, The Atlantic, NBC THINK, The Behavioral Scientist, CNN, the San Francisco Chronicle, Huffington Post, Psychology Today, Variety, and more. He’s also given talks to the faculties at Harvard, the Weill Cornell Department of Psychiatry and other academic institutions.
A frequent guest on the Today Show and NPR Dr. Coleman has also been featured on Sesame Street, 20/20, Good Morning America, PBS, and numerous news programs for FOX, ABC, CNN, and NBC television. Dr. Coleman is also the author of four books: The Rules of Estrangement, The Marriage Makeover, The Lazy Husband, and When Parents Hurt.
We talk about…
- Why a parent and child might become estranged
- How common estrangement is
- Why it’s now the parent's job to earn the love and respect of their child
- What the rules of estrangement look like
- Whether or not today’s children are too hard on their parents
- The role boundaries play in estrangement
- What the reconciliation process looks like
- How parents can navigate shame that might arise with estrangement
- What not to do when trying to reconcile
- How estrangement can impact grandparent's relationships with their grandkids
- Why reconciliation therapy looks different than marriage therapy
More from Dr. Joshua Coleman…
Visit his website
Hangout with him on his Facebook page or join his Facebook group
Buy his book, Rules of Estrangement: Why Adult Children Cut Ties and How to Heal the Conflict
Get a FREE bonus sample pack with your first order of LMNT when you click here.