Do you remember lying awake all night as a kid, overcome with anticipation and excitement, waiting for Christmas morning to arrive? That was exactly how I felt waiting to chat with today's guest, Dr. Ellen Vora.
Dr. Ellen Vora is a board-certified psychiatrist, acupuncturist, and yoga teacher. She takes a functional medicine approach to mental health and addresses the root problem rather than reflexively prescribing medication to suppress the symptoms.
She also considers the whole person, focusing on everything from physical health, sleep, nutrition, digestion, thought patterns, relationships and community to our connection with nature and creativity, and the ways we find meaning in life.
This episode is overflowing with so much wisdom, insight, and tips. If you struggle with mental health, be sure to tune into Episode 17, Holistic Approaches to Psychiatry with Dr. Ellen Vora.
I can’t wait to hear your feedback on this episode! Screenshot and tag me—I’m @courageously.u— and my guest—@ellenvoramd and share your thoughts, feelings, and reactions.
SOME QUESTIONS I ASKED:
- What did it look like to transition from conventional psychiatry to holistic psychiatry?
- How much training does a general practitioner have in mental health?
- Can we discuss the correlation between increase in meds and depression?
- What are some holistic approaches to anxiety?
- How can inflammation lead to depression?
- How does sleep impact our overall well-being?
- Does breathing work faster than a Xanax?
- What is the connection between GABA and alcohol?
- Do you have any tips for people who live with social anxiety?
- What advice would you give to someone struggling alone in silence?
- What does courage look like to you?
YOU WILL LEARN:
- Ellen's thoughts on mental health medication
- How long it takes for research to hit clinical practice
- What happens when you cold turkey mental health medication
- How mental health medications lead to more medications
- What happens when we jump straight into a mental health medication
- What it looks like to come off mental health medications
- Caffeines role in anxiety
- All about postpartum anxiety and depression
- Why panic attacks occur in your sleep
- What to do when your panic attack feels like a heart attack
- All about the over prescribing of ADHD meds with kiddos
- How acupuncture improves well-being
CONNECT WITH DR. ELLEN VORA:
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
ALL THE GOODIES FROM THIS EPISODE:
Anxiety Freebie: Get your free 4-week action plan with tips and tricks to help you not only reduce anxiety, but also coexist peacefully with it. Click here to download.
Four Sigmatic: Save 10% on your purchase when you use the code: COURAGE10 at checkout.