Dr. Ethan Kross is one of the world’s leading experts on controlling the conscious mind and the author of his first ever book Chatter: The Voice in our head, why it matters, and how to harness it.
He is an award-winning professor in the University of Michigan’s top-ranked Psychology Department and Ross School of Business, Ethan utilizes and implements his research on how the conversations people have with themselves impacts their health, performance, decisions, and relationships. Ethan earned his Ph.D. in Psychology from Columbia University and completed a post-doctoral fellowship in social-affective neuroscience to learn about the neural systems that support self-control. He moved to the University of Michigan in 2008, where he founded the Emotion & Self Control Laboratory.
IN TODAY'S EPISODE, YOU'LL LEARN…
- What chatter is and when it backfires
- The purpose of chatter and how it benefits you
- How you get stuck in chatter
- Why you don't want to rid yourself of negative emotions
- What to do if you're caught up in chatter
- The factors that can make you more vulnerable to chatter like experiences
- Whether or not you can control your thoughts
- What to do if a worrisome thought pops up
- How sharing your chatter with others can push others away
- Why you read and have no clue what you read
- How social media impacts your inner voice
- Whether or not chatter manifests in children
- Why engaging in introspection when distressed can contribute to mental disorders
- If auditory hallucinations are similar to chatter
CONNECT WITH ETHAN KROSS
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
RATE, REVIEW, & SUBSCRIBE ON APPLE PODCASTS
“I LOVE The Courageously.u Podcast!” <— If this sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing my show! Your review helps me support more courageous souls struggling alone in silence. Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!
Also, if you haven’t done so already, subscribe to the podcast. I’m starting to add some game-changing bonus episodes to the feed, and I’d hate for you to miss out on them. Subscribe now!