TUNE IN: APPLE PODCAST | SPOTIFY
Today's guest is the insanely courageous Jane Hart.
Jane is a mother of two courageous boys, a forever student, and a passionate advocate. She also lives with Dissociative identity disorder, formally known as multiple personality disorder. Before starring in A&E's hit documentary series, Many Sides of Jane, Jane wrote articles and spoke out about childhood abuse and the normalization of mental health. She loves to spend her time hiking with her boys, reading, writing, and figuring out more ways to advocate for those who don't have a voice. Did I mention she's also from Boise, Idaho?!?
My passion for mental health advocacy is real, so I had to shine a light on DID. According to the DSM 5, the defining feature of DID is the presence of two or more distinct personality states or an experience of possession. DID is associated with overwhelming experiences, traumatic events, and/or abuse in childhood. Why does this episode matter? Over 70% of outpatients with DID have attempted suicide, and other self-injurious behavior is frequent.
YOU WILL LEARN:
- What Disassociate Identity Disorder (DID) is according to Jane (5:58)
- When Jane began to notice her parts (6:48)
- The pros and cons of DID (7:52)
- What parts are and the many parts of Jane (8:37)
- The movie that inspired Jane to share her story on A&E (14:58)
- How backlash has impacted Jane's life (16:37)
- What it's like to be a mom with DID (20:52)
- What it looks like to switch between identities (23:42)
- Jane's day to day life living with DID (26:31)
- What treatment looks like for individuals living with DID (28:08)
- Jane's advice to individuals living in silence with DID (34:53)
- Parenting tips if you live with DID and have kiddos (39:05)
- How Jane landed a documentary series on A&E (40:40)
I can’t wait to hear your feedback on this episode! Screenshot and tag me—I’m @courageously.u— and my guest—@real.janehart and share your thoughts, feelings, and reactions.
CONNECT WITH JANE HART :
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
ALL THE GOODIES FROM THIS EPISODE:
The doors are currently open to Anxiety Management 101, but they close on September 20th. If you're tired of feeling anxious, and are ready to find freedom from your anxiety, click here to join me inside Anxiety Management 101. I hope to see you there!
So informative and Jane plus her parts are amazing and so courageous. I feel hopeful listening to all this And I just want to hug this lady!! All of her parts. I’m a mom and just want to mother her/ be a big sister to her as well. . I’m very a empathetic person and I feel a lot of feelings for her.
Thank you for the sweet comment! Jane is a courageous lady and I know your words will mean so much to her. Thank you for leaving a comment!
I know the documentary aired a while ago but I re watched it. I feel so much empathy for this woman and all she went through. A lot of people don’t understand DID but instead of judging her, learn more about it. She is a really strong person and looks like she is a great mom and loves her kids.