TUNE IN: APPLE PODCAST | SPOTIFY
Jen Lancaster is the New York Times bestselling author of the novels Here I Go Again and The Gatekeepers; the nonfiction works Bitter Is the New Black, Such a Pretty Fat, and Bright Lights, Big Ass; and the memoirs Stories I’d Tell in Bars, Generation X, My Fair Lazy, Pretty in Plaid, and I Regret Nothing, which was named an Amazon Best Book of the Year.
Her latest book, Welcome to the United States of Anxiety: Observations from a Reforming Neurotic, is an absolute must read.
Jen Lancaster is regularly a finalist in the Goodreads Choice Awards. She has sold well over a million books documenting her attempts to shape up, grow up, and have it all—sometimes with disastrous results. She’s also been seen on the Today show, as well as CBS This Morning, Fox News, and NPR’s All Things Considered, among others. On top of all this, she is real, and that’s why I love her.
IN TODAY'S EPISODE, YOU WILL LEARN:
- The inspiration behind Jen writing Welcome to the United States of Anxiety (8:07)
- What anxiety looks like to Jen (9:58)
- What Jen gained from asking herself, “What would be the worst thing if I admitted I was afraid, this makes me anxious; I don't like this.” (12:09)
- Why Jen based anxiety on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs (13:36)
- Jens belief of what triggers people the most (15:13)
- Whether or not Jen likes the Kardashians (18:00)
- Why Jen feels food can leave you anxious (20:25)
- How comparison leads to anxiety (24:40)
- The negative impact of social media (32:27)
- The message we are getting from HGTV (34:02)
- How keeping up with the Joneses is increasing anxiety (37:02)
- The role policing plays in anxiety (41:23)
- How our political climate is impacting us (45:36)
- The phrase that will make your life easier (48:28)
- Jens view of hate crimes (54:15)
- The cons of posting pictures of your kiddos on social (58:56)
- What helps Jen manage her anxiety (1:02:25)
CONNECT WITH JEN LANCASTER:
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
ALL THE GOODIES FROM THIS EPISODE:
Want to win a copy of Welcome to the United States of America? All you have to do to enter is rate and review The Courageously.u Podcast on Apple Podcasts. By doing this, you help more courageous souls find the show.
After leaving your review, email your screenshot to email@example.com, and you’ll automatically be entered to win a copy of Welcome to the United States of Anxiety.
The lucky winner will be announced on November 4th.