TUNE IN: APPLE PODCAST | SPOTIFY
On my continued quest to help break the commonly held belief surrounding mental illness, I bring you today's guest, Dr. Kabran Chapek.
Dr. Kabran Chapek has been a staff physician at Amen Clinics since 2013. As a graduate of Bastyr University in the Seattle area, he is an expert in the use of functional and integrative treatments. Dr. Chapek is the founding president of the Psychiatric Association of Naturopathic Physicians, an affiliate group of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians.
He is also the author of Concussion Rescue, an amazing book that describes the programs and protocols he uses at the Amen Clinics to put patients on a pathway to recovery. For anyone struggling with the effects of concussion, Concussion Rescue guides you through strategies from the cutting edge of brain science.
Why does this episode matter?
Most people believe that mental illness is solely the result of a chemical imbalance, and that’s just not true.
Dr. Chapek educates us on the role that brain injury plays in psychiatric illness. Having had multiple head injuries myself, I found concussion rescue to be very insightful.
If you have ever had a brain injury, know someone who has, or want to be proactive in regards to your mental health, this episode is for you.
IN TODAY'S EPISODE, YOU WILL LEARN:
- Why brain imaging is helpful (6:20)
- That brain injuries can cause mental health problems (9:50)
- Things to do immediately if you injury your brain (13:34)
- What you need to place in your car (15:14)
- What to do if there are signs of a concussion (16:23)
- Symptoms of a concussion (16:42)
- How brain injury leads to mental health problems (18:24)
- The BRIGHT MINDS risk factors (22:59)
- How brain injury can lead to sleep problems and tips to improve sleep (29:39)
- What to do if you don't have access to SPECT imaging (33:51)
- How diet influences brain health (36:12)
- Dr. Chapek's final tip to help improve mental health (39:20)
CONNECT WITH DR. CHAPEK:
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
ALL THE GOODIES FROM THIS EPISODE:
*Note: this post includes affiliate links. Thank you for supporting me, my family, and my dreams for courageously.u when you consider buying from my recommendations.