Laura McKowen is a writer, teacher, and speaker. She had a long, successful career in public relations and the Mad Men–esque drinking culture of advertising. After getting sober, Laura quickly became recognized as a fresh voice in recovery, beloved for her soulful and irreverent writing online and in print. She now leads sold-out retreats and courses, teaching people how to say yes to a bigger life.
Laura's also the founder of The Luckiest Club, a sobriety support community. Her first book, We Are The Luckiest: The Surprising Magic of a Sober Life was released in January 2020 and was an instant bestseller.
TODAY WE'RE CHATTING ABOUT…
- Laura's 20-year struggle with drinking
- What life looks like since becoming sober
- Laura's predisposition to using alcohol to escape
- The myth that alcohol isn't that big of a deal
- Laura's thoughts on whether or not certain people can't drink alcohol
- Why the mommy wine culture is harmful
- Laura's physical and psychological dependency on alcohol
- The link between trauma and addiction
- Laura's rock bottom moment that led her to recognize she had a problem with alcohol
- The struggles with alcohol withdrawal and getting sober
- Laura's advice to you if you're struggling alone in silence with alcohol
CONNECT WITH LAURA MCKOWEN…
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
RATE, REVIEW, & SUBSCRIBE ON APPLE PODCASTS
“I LOVE The Courageously.u Podcast!” <— If this sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing my show! Your review helps me support more courageous souls struggling alone in silence. Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!
Also, if you haven’t done so already, subscribe to the podcast. I’m starting to add some game-changing bonus episodes to the feed, and I’d hate for you to miss out on them. Subscribe now!