Inside Episode 19 of The Courageously.u Podcast, Angela Peacock shares her courageous story of how the overprescribing of mental health medication almost killed her.
Angela Peacock is a former U.S. Army Sergeant whose normal response to deployment led to fifteen years of being overprescribed medications, multiple hospitalizations, and a whirlwind of disability. Over that time, Angela was prescribed forty plus mental health medications, and at the height of the prescribing, eighteen medications at once. I don't know about you, but that is BANANAS!
Four and a half years off all medications, Angela is now sharing her courageous experience in the mental health care system. As she continues to heal from the neurological damage and psychological trauma caused by being a “compliant patient,” she facilitates discussion of the issues presented in Medicating Normal for communities worldwide.
Later on in the episode, Wendy Ractliffe joins us in our discussion of the documentary Medicating Normal. Wendy was the associate producer for the documentary Beyond Measure. Medicating Normal is her first feature film. She has been involved in regenerative agriculture and alternative education for two decades. She has a B.A. in History from Yale University and an MBA from Duke University, and a diploma in Waldorf Education.
Medicating Normal is a documentary I feel everybody should watch regardless of whether or not they access mental health medication. It is a beautiful portrayal of the realities of mental health medication.
I know the discussion of meds can be a hot topic, and this documentary is by no means designed to shame anyone. It is merely the story of five courageous souls sharing their experience with mental health medications.
If you are accessing mental health medications, DO NOT cold turkey your meds. Please seek help from a trained provider that can help you titrate off your meds safely.
YOU WILL LEARN:
- What led Angela to seek help from psychiatry (3:51)
- How Angela's normal emotional response to readjusting to Germany led her to being overprescribed mental health medications (6:08)
- What withdrawal from over thirty-six mental health medications looked like for Angela (9:07)
- How Angela went from a very successful army leader to a hermit (13:05)
- What the current system of care for veterans looks like (14:00)
- How Angela became involved in the documentary Medicating Normal (14:50)
- All about Medicating Normal (20:16)
- What inspired the making of Medicating Normal (23:23)
- How people responded to Medicating Normal (26:23)
- The advice Angela and Wendy have for someone considering mental health medication (31:22)
CONNECT WITH ANGELA AND WENDY:
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
ALL THE GOODIES FROM THIS EPISODE:
Anxiety Freebie: Get your free 4-week action plan with tips and tricks to help you not only reduce anxiety, but also coexist peacefully with it. Click here to download.