Today’s guest is the co-founder and CEO of the Whole30 program, host of the Do the Thing Podcast, and six-time New York Times bestselling author, Melissa Urban.
If you’re as big of a fan of Melissa’s as I am, you most likely know her for Whole30. Well, today, we aren’t chatting food.
Melissa joins us on the show to share her courageous journey through addiction and the trauma she experienced that led her to numb through substances. She discusses engaging in self-injurious behavior and how she navigated her way out of the dark. Oh, and her adorable dog Henry makes sure his voice is heard on the show, too.
Working as a therapist in corrections, I am insanely passionate about creating conversations around trauma, coping skills, abuse, and substance use.
IN TODAY'S EPISODE, YOU WILL LEARN:
- What Melissa's substance abuse history looked like (3:48)
- Whether or not Melissa had coping skills to cope with her sexual assault (5:27)
- In hindsight, what Melissa feels she needed after she was sexually assaulted (7:44)
- Whether or not substances actually helped her cope with the abuse (8:52)
- What Melissa's turning point was (10:44)
- Melissa's healing journey (12:09)
- How Melissa copes with big emotions and what her recovery looks like (13:15)
- How Melissa used self-injurious behavior to feel something (15:33)
- Why Melissa says, “I'm not drinking right now” (17:50)
- Melissa's journey from drug addiction to Whole30 (20:42)
- What Melissa would say to you if you are struggling right now (22:56)
CONNECT WITH MELISSA URBAN:
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE: