Mindfulness techniques are a great way to pull you out of future-focused thoughts that are only leaving you feeling anxious. I recognize for someone new to mindfulness, you may think mindfulness techniques are a little “whoo-whoo,” but I promise you they pack a powerful punch. Mindfulness is evidence-based, which means there is tons of research to support its powerful effects on the body.
How do mindfulness techniques help? When you ground yourself in the present moment, you go from operating on autopilot to being fully present in your life. You utilize your five senses to transport you back to your life as it’s currently playing out.
It’s pretty hard to be lost in catastrophic thinking when you are living in the here-and-now. Mindfulness also allows you to get off the worry channel and plops you back into what is as opposed to living in a space of what-if.
Below you’ll find three of my fave mindfulness techniques that are guaranteed to transport you out of your anxious thoughts and back into your life. These techniques can be practiced anywhere, at any time, and the best part is, no one even has to know you’re doing them.
The secret to mindfulness is that it takes patience, practice, and persistence. Mindfulness is not a practice you engage in once and call it a day. It’s a daily habit. You have all the power within you to reduce your anxiety, and now you have the tools.
If you’re ready to kick anxiety to the curb, climb aboard the DeLorean and let’s get you back to living in the now.
BE HERE NOW
- Stop and take a moment right now to notice what is in your awareness. Are there any sounds that you are hearing right now?
- Are you aware of your body and the position it is in right now?
- Are there any particular sensations that you’re feeling?
- Are you aware of your breathing?
- Can you notice what happens in the body when you breathe in?
- What about breathing out?
- Where in the body do you feel your breath most?
- Are you noticing any smells?
- Are there any thoughts moving through your mind?
- If you were to be asked, “How are you right now?” How would you answer?
Take a breath and tune in
Open and observe what is happening in your awareness in this moment
Proceed with greater control and clarity
To learn more about S.T.O.P. be sure to click here to read a past post I did all about this amazing mindfulness technique.
CAN YOU SPOT THE COLOR?
- For 5 minutes walk around with a pen and paper, or your phone if that’s all you have, and see how many objects of blue you can find.
- Write them down and number them.
- Once your time is up, look to see how many you got.
- Now pause for a moment and take a breath.
You can do this exercise in your home, outside on a nature walk, or at work or school. Hate the color blue? Pick another color and try to find as much of that color as you can in 5 minutes. I would suggest avoiding obvious colors like black, brown, or white. Make this exercise tricky and also fun.
FREEBIE ALERT!!!! Are you tired of living with anxiety? Does crippling fear hold you back from living your best life. If yes, be sure to Click here and snag your 4-week action plan for reducing anxiety.